kira

Kira

I do not have time to read, but the books just keep getting stuck to my face. UF, HF, YA, fluffy romance, whatever. I love it all.

But I might judge you if you hand out five stars all willy nilly.

The Untold

The Shadow Reader
Unravel Me
Clockwork Princess

Kira's favorite books ยป
Little Century - Anna Keesey I picked up an ARC of Little Century largely because of the review on the front cover by Joshua Ferris which called it, "A frontier saga, a love story, and an epic of many small pleasures."Now that I have read it for myself, I have mixed feelings about that description. I would say that if you enjoy Willa Cather's writing, you would most likely enjoy this book as well. It was not as "epic" as I'd hoped and the part of the story I was most interested in (Esther learning to tend to her homestead) was hugely glossed over. Everything was very detailed up until the first night in her little cabin alone on the dark prairie, and then it skips ahead several months to where she is fairly self-sufficient. I was pretty disappointed in that.That being said, some of the writing was just beautiful. Written in the present tense, it is a bit jarring at first, but after a while you become caught up in the rhythm, the descriptions, the interactions between the characters. This IS an adventure of many small pleasures and I wished that it would have been just that. As an epic about a range war, I thought it fell flat, but as a study of characters in a small town at the turn of the century it excelled. From first page to the last, Esther's story is memorable.All in all, I liked the book and I'm glad I read it. It's not one I would recommend to my girlfriends as an epic love story, but I do plan to loan it to my grandmother, a writer herself, because I know she will appreciate it.