kira

Kira

I do not have time to read, but the books just keep getting stuck to my face. UF, HF, YA, fluffy romance, whatever. I love it all.

But I might judge you if you hand out five stars all willy nilly.

The Untold

The Shadow Reader
Unravel Me
Clockwork Princess

Kira's favorite books ยป
Witchful Thinking: A Jolie Wilkins Novel - H. P. Mallory I hate writing mean reviews. I really do.However, I cannot in good conscience write anything more than a two-star review for this book or I'd be doing my fellow paranormal romance/urban fantasy fans a huge disservice.I was offered an ARC copy of this book in exchange for an honest review, and in preparation for reading it I went and purchased the first book in the series so I would be familiar with the characters. While I wasn't blow away by the first book, I found it entertaining and I clipped through it pretty quickly to find out how it would end. The writing style was somewhat juvenile but I gave the author the benefit of the doubt because usually by the third book both the author and the characters have grown. In Witchful Thinking, I was expecting Jolie to have matured and for the cheesy cliches to have diminished.Oy.This book was more like two steps forward, five steps back. Nothing actually happens in this book besides scene after scene of Jolie re-animating a bunch of people from the great battle in book 2, a LOT of re-hashing of previous plot points, and each chapter starting with a horrendously long italicized journal entry that starts with, I kid you not, "Dear Diary." They were so cheesy I couldn't even bring myself to read them and had to skim past. I kept thinking that it felt like a really sexualized version of a Sweet Valley Twins book.If you think I'm being overly harsh, here is an excerpt:"Physically, Odran is very striking. The first thing you will notice about him is that he's built like a bull, exuding strength with not even an ounce of fat-- nope, just rock hard muscle. Next you might notice his long mane of slightly wavy, golden hair that trails to his butt. Then you would probably notice that his facial features resemble those of a lion-- solid, angular planes with a strong jaw."Did you "notice" anything about that paragraph? Besides the fact that you should be noticing so many different things, you should also notice that this supposedly hot guy actually looks like a cross between a lion and a bull. Uhh... yummy? The entire book went like that.If I hadn't promised to review it, I would not have finished it, but I will admit that the last few pages took the only interesting turn in the book and I might read the reviews on the next one just to see the spoilers and find out what happens. There is no way I will actually read the next one myself, though.