kira

Kira

I do not have time to read, but the books just keep getting stuck to my face. UF, HF, YA, fluffy romance, whatever. I love it all.

But I might judge you if you hand out five stars all willy nilly.

The Untold

Clockwork Princess

Kira's favorite books ยป

Slammed by Colleen Hoover

Slammed (Slammed, #1) - Colleen Hoover

Going into this, I knew three things about Slammed.

1. It contained slam poetry.

2. It had a guy named Will.

3. Everybody on the face of the planet had read it and swooned.

Because I hadn't read anyone else's interpretation or experience with this book, the story was fresh for me. I had no idea what the conflict between Will and Layken would be and that meant it was just me and a great read that contained plenty of surprises... and some of the hottest hand-holding I've read about.

Seriously, Colleen Hoover excels at steaming up the most innocent touches and she writes guys I want to make out with. Will is indeed a dreamboat. Layken I was less enamored with, she was a little immature, but she didn't outright annoy me and she actually behaved like an 18-year-old. I see a lot of potential for growth in her.

Will, Layken's mom, the little brothers, and Eddie, her best friend, were the shining stars for me. They reminded me of what good characterization looks like. Characters that make you care about more than just whether or not the boy and girl get together, that take you outside the romantic thread, and they keep you invested in the story as a whole. This book had some wonderful side characters.

Also, the poetry. God, I feel so uncultured and like I need to find an innercity club so I can slam... well, not me, but somebody else should do it while I watch.... from between my fingers... from the back of the room. I have so much respect for people who put themselves out there like that and the poetry that Colleen Hoover wrote for this book-- I could hear it and feel it, and it was beautiful.

I would have rated it higher but the ending was abrupt and I didn't even realize I was reading the epilogue until it said something about two years passing. I wished she wouldn't have rushed through the end of this story. It felt like the author took the easy way out and I was a little disappointed with that, even knowing there is a sequel. But even still, it was almost four stars, which means I thoroughly enjoyed the book and I would recommend it. Good stuff.