kira

Kira

I do not have time to read, but the books just keep getting stuck to my face. UF, HF, YA, fluffy romance, whatever. I love it all.

But I might judge you if you hand out five stars all willy nilly.

The Untold

The Shadow Reader
Unravel Me
Clockwork Princess

Kira's favorite books ยป
Starters - Lissa Price Starters is a book about an orphaned 16-year-old girl named Callie who is trying to survive and provide for her 7-year-old brother in a future where a biological weapon has wiped out everyone between the ages of about 18 and 85. "Starters" are the younger generation and everyone else is called an "Ender." Because of technological advances, Enders are able to live for up to 200 years and they have made it illegal for minors to work. When Callie's brother becomes very ill, she is forced to earn money by signing up at the body bank, a secret place where old people are hooked up to a machine (much like you saw in The Matrix) and their brain functions are transferred over to a nubile teenage rental body. It was supposed to be easy for Callie: go to sleep, wake up one week later when the rental is over and then get paid. Unfortunately, when she regained consciousness she was lying on the floor of a night club in a puddle of sticky liquid and was hearing a mysterious voice in her head.Such a great start! I so wanted to love this book.Unfortunately, everything went downhill from there. It's hard to explain exactly why, but this book felt like an original idea that was pieced together with scenes from movies that I've already seen. The now-mandatory love triangle (why must the girl always have two boys to choose between, WHY?!) felt forced, the dialogue was flat, the action scenes were not original, and the characters behaved so unbelievably I was never able to engage with the story. The old people were all so evil and over-the-top I found myself rolling my eyes on almost every page and the big twist in the story was just.... silly. I actually laughed out loud.Ever since the Hunger Games exploded on the scene a few years ago, the YA genre has been riding the post-apocalyptic dystopian society wave. There have been numerous books suggested to me by Amazon in the last year that claimed "Fans of the Hunger Games will love this book," and I've been lured into reading several of them because I enjoyed that series so much. Some of them were good (i.e. [b:Divergent|13335037|Divergent (Divergent, #1)|Veronica Roth|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328559506s/13335037.jpg|13155899]) but most of them were really, really.... not.As a 32-year-old married woman, I realize I am not the target demographic for these books; however, you can usually tell about 20 pages in if a book is labeled YA because it's a great story minus the gratuitous sex and violence, or if it's labeled YA because only 15-year-old girls will enjoy it. Starters is one of the latter, which is why I gave it two stars. If I was rating it based on the cover, I would have given it a better score because the cover truly is one of the best I've seen in a long time, but sadly, the old saying is true, you can't judge a book by the cover.